Sunday, April 8, 2012

"I'll hit you so hard they'll arrest you in El Paso for speeding"
.
-Nancy Mondragon
(Movie shown while en route to Chimayo, New Mexico)

Taken by David George in Chimavo, NM. One of the many religious symbols throughout the property we had the pleasure of visiting.
Picture of the church where the dirt is obtained to heal!
While we were not speeding, Kathy was busy getting the bus ready for all of us to head to Taos, NM.  Dr. Griggs put on the movie Milagro Beanfield, which for me was such an eye opener, but also I found myself something struggling with.  When do we allow big business and growth to dictate a take over of ones land, and when do we stop and say we are fine the way we are.  As a business major, I struggle with the fine line as I have see take overs of family lands to build large offices, and I have seen strong families come out to defend their homestead.  While this movie allowed me time for reflection, it also lead to once again amazing sights, sounds and people of New Mexico.

On the way to Taos, we had a very enlightening experience by stopping in Chimavo where the El Santuario de Chiayo is located. It is a Roman Catholic Church that is a national landmark, and is known for its founding at a pilgrimage site, and also as a site known to many as a healing site.  According to the the informational signage posted to the entrance, it host almost 300,000 visitors per year.  Our tour guide Kathy, also stated it was known to have more than 5,000 cars to be lined up along the roads to enter the area on good Friday.  Once inside the area, visitors like myself found crosses, and rosaries that all represented something different.  Inside the church is an area where one may dig up "healing" dirt which has been rumored to cure one of any ailment.  Scientifically the dirt is high in calcium carbonate, thus the belief it has healing powers.  What I found as a "tourist" to be the most fascinating part of the stop, was the amount of medical equipment people had left, in statement to say they had been cured by the dirt.  While not only moving in many ways in my life, it truly gave me a new prospective on the power of positive energy or prayer as one may say.



One of the many religious symbols placed throughout the grounds




One of the great pieces of rock formations that symbolize religion


No comments:

Post a Comment